In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Thomaston Historical Society

Interior Railroad Depot, Thomaston, 1914

Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
MMN Item 26656 Item Details
Interior Railroad Depot, Thomaston, 1914
MMN Item 26656 Zoom

Description

Pictured are Charles Starret, sitting, and Gilbert Beattie, standing, in the office of the Thomaston stationmaster for the Knox and Lincoln Railroad.

In 1871 when the Knox and Lincoln Railroad was built through Thomaston, the decision was made to keep the General Knox Farmhouse for use as a train depot. It was modified throughout the years for this use.

The upstairs was used as living quarters for the stationmaster. On the first floor, the western half was used as a waiting room, and the eastern half, pictured in the image, was used as the stationmaster’s office. The calendar on the wall dates the photo in July 1914.

When the railroad company departed in 1956, the Daughters of the American Revolution took over the building, turning it over to the Thomaston Historical Society in 1971. All remnants of the railroad station have since been removed.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.