In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Thomaston Historical Society

Thomaston Grocery, Thomaston, ca. 1889

Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
MMN Item 26646 Item Details
Thomaston Grocery, Thomaston, ca. 1889
MMN Item 26646 Zoom


Originally built circa 1830 as a dwelling house for Barden Levensaler on the southwest corner of Knox and Main Streets, the building was later used as a store. It stood on the site of the present Watts Block. William Flint and either George or Richard Starr operated a grocery store here around 1860. William Catland operated the store up until 1890.

In 1890 Barden's son, William Levensaler, sold it to Captain Samuel Watts on February 5, 1890 for $3200. Captain Watts moved the building down Knox Street, and built the first brick Watts Block in 1890 on the site. The Watts Block was presented to the town residents for their use.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.