In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Thomaston Historical Society

Thomaston Academy and Congregational Meeting House, Thomaston, ca. 1855

Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
MMN Item 26613 Item Details
Thomaston Academy and Congregational Meeting House, Thomaston, ca. 1855
MMN Item 26613 Zoom

Description

An early lithograph depicts the Thomaston Academy shortly after it was built in 1848 and the Congregational Meeting House, built in 1826.

The lot on which the church stands was transferred by Benjamin Bussey, stating that no other building but a meeting house was to be erected on the premises. The Catholics later purchased the property and erected a new church in 1915.

The Academy was enlarged and now houses the Thomaston Public Library.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.